Powered By Blogger

Thursday 7 October 2010

Tuesday - lovely driving and the Col De Turini!

Tuesday D'Allos to Nice via Col De Turini 138 miles.

I am going to split today up into sections because again there was just so much to see. 

We started with a glorious drive down the mountain to Colmars.  There were a few anxious moments because the fuel gauge decided to tell us fibs.  The night before we checked and had half a tank of petrol.  When we got going the next morning we were on empty!  There was no puddle so I don't know what happened but we were a bit worried until we saw a little filling station.  It was a beautiful day.....
Once again the sun was shining, the mountain air was crisp and clear everything was right in the world.  The drive was just superb, this is a truly beautiful part of France.  I loved it!
This is the chateau at Colmars.  It is a lovely village with a gorgeous church for some reason I didn't take a picture.  It was market day so lots of people everywhere (nowhere to park!) I love the bustle of a village on market day, it's the best!
Look at that tiny little room stuck on the end.... I wonder what that was used for?
Everything was just perfect - the weather, the company, the car had a full tank of petrol (and oil!) The views were stunning, I could have carried on driving here forever.....  John was actually driving, I was navigating a lovely long road that I couldn't get lost on!
From here we had a choice of routes - the high road or the low road!  I decided on the high road because John had been so understanding the day before - and I could see from the map that it was nowhere near as high as the Col D'Allos!
Mac and Auriol overtaking us in their Sunbeam Alpine.  I was slow and didn't get a good picture, the first fifteen minutes or so of going up to the high bits made me hyperventilate until I got a hold of myself and then it wasn't too bad.  The road got wider and I got happier!
French crash barriers!  Not very high with nice big gaps inbetween! 
I have to admit this is not a road we drove on.  I spotted it across the valley and thought that it would be a good picture with the bridge.  I actually got out of the car and stood on the edge of the road - that means I was very brave - fear of heights is disappearing!
John parked on the other side of the road waiting for me to take pictures!  This was a really nice road to drive on.  We had a delightful morning!  And lots more to look forward to this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment