Powered By Blogger

Thursday 28 October 2010

Homeward bound

Grenoble to Troyes 295 miles.

For some reason I didn't take any pictures!  I think it was because we were going back through farming country and I took lots of pictures going the other way, its the only reason I can think off apart from maybe I spent a lot of the day sleeping instead of navigating?

Troyes to Calais 249 miles.

This is the view from our hotel room in Troyes.  We had a fabulous "last supper" that night and swapped lots of horror stories!  John and I confessed to not even looking at a map until we got in the car in the morning, everyone was astounded!  James made a quite hysterical speech which I can't repeat!  Everyone had a wonderful time and nobody wanted it to be over.
 This was a contaption for making hessian bags (I think) in the foyer of the hotel.  It had lots of bobbins on it.
 Heading north towards Arras where we decided to have lunch.  Not a cloud to be seen just lovely.
 Arras.  Look at those black clouds!  Can you tell we are getting closer to home?  Arras is really nice, we had a nice lunch of ribs and chips, in fact John mentioned them the other day.  I said he would have to take me back to France to get some more!
 We came out from lunch and Ginger had made a friend!  A Simka, they look deep in conversation.  Do you think they spoke in German, English or French?
 Boarding the ferry with rally plates displayed on the dashboard.  John and I were sitting quietly in the car when we suddenly felt the back end go down, looked round and a bus driver was sitting on it!  I got out of the car and suddenly there was a group of English men surrounding us, really admiring the car, the bus driver had been trying to look cool!  He didn't half get teased!
 Bye bye France.  On the ferry home, feeling a bit flat and already planning the next trip.  John wants to go to Croatia, I would like to revisit Germany.  I think it is likely that we will do a charity drive if we can set it up.  As most of you know we are involved with RFU Injured Players Foundation (Obviously John is a member!) so we would like to support them as well a Spinal Research. 
It really just remains to say that John and I have both had the most fantastic holiday, it is the perfect way for us to go on holiday.  We met the most fantastic people who were a joy to spend time with.  Really the people made all the difference from being a nice holiday into an amazing holiday.  If you were on this trip and reading this - thank you.  I can't not mention John making me pull over so he could drive because he REALLY didn't like me trying to race Paul and Mike in their Porsche, after dinner parties with brandy involved with James and Richard (sorry for buying the expensive stuff!) and of course Trevor and Margaret - I didn't get caught with handfuls of sweeties!  I hope everyone had as good a time as we did and hopefully do it all again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment