Powered By Blogger

Thursday 4 November 2010

A snowy drive to Skye

I am starting to get organised to go to Skye the first week in December.  Sarah (little sister) is coming down for a week before and then we are going back up together.  It got me thinking about the drive up this time last year, it was magical - there was snow all the way from Cumbria to Skye!  I really enjoyed the drive, these are some pictures I took in Glencoe.
 It was cold!  I hardly saw any traffic all day.
 Even though there was snow the roads were in perfect condition.
 I was surprised I never saw more deer, normally you see a lot all along whe you get a bit further up but I only saw them at Clunie and even there not more than maybe a hundred. 
 I had Belle and Jess with me for company, I had the back seats folded down so they had lots of room.  We were warm and cosy in my car!
 The long lonely road.  I do admit I was thinking "don't break down, don't get a puncture"  for quite a long way.  It would be a long walk that I wouldn't have enjoyed!
 At this point in the journey there are about another four hours to go.  I usually stop at Fort William and pop into Morrisons for a quick bite to eat, then I don't leave the dogs for too long.  I am usually feeling the "got to get there hurry hurry hurry" by this point so am eager to get back on the road even though I have just been driving for hours and hours!
 It is a long way to drive in one day but its worth it!  Especially when you know that you are going to be arriving to a roaring fire and Mama's good home cooking! 
 I am always very spoilt when I go home, everyone makes a huge fuss of me because they haven't seen me for a bit.  The dogs adore being able to go and play on the shore (its a novelty to them!)
Near the top of Glengarry.  The sun had set and everything had that amazing still quality that I can't explain.  The sky had a beautiful pink tinge and everything was very peaceful.  Still a way to go before I arrive, I seem to remember I had a huge bowl of leek and potato soup in front of the fire when I arrived (and lots of hugs!)

No comments:

Post a Comment